In some cases (for example, when you want to sell your computer) you may need to permanently delete your personal data which are stored on your computer. Deleting data with the standard Microsoft Windows tools (sending them to the Recycle Bin and then emptying the Recycle Bin) cannot ensure safety and prevent possible restoration. Files may be restored using any high-performance software tools. Formatting data storage media (such as hard disk drives, flash cards, or USB cards) cannot guarantee total data deletion either.
In order to protect your confidential data from unauthorized restoration, Kaspersky PURE 3.0 includes the Data Shredding Tool. Data deletion is based on rewriting deleted information with ones, zeroes, or random symbols. In Kaspersky PURE 3.0 algorithms of re-recording symbol chains (methods for permanent deletion of personal data) are standardized. Rewriting cycles and number of them may vary depending on the selected method for permanent deletion. Sure methods are methods when data rewriting contains three or more cycles. In the Data Shredding Tool from Kaspersky PURE 3.0 you are offered to select one of the following data deletion standards:
- Quick delete (Recommended). Deletion process consists of two cycles of data rewriting: writing zeroes and pseudorandom numbers. The main advantage of this algorithm is performance speed. Two cycles are enough to complicate the operations of data restoration tools. Even if the file itself will be restored, the data will turn out to be annihilated.
- GOST state standard P 50739-95, Russian Federation. The algorithm carries out one rewriting cycle using pseudorandom numbers and protects the data from restoration with common tools. This algorithm corresponds to protection class 2 out of 6 total, according to the State Technical Commission classification.
- VSITR standard, Germany. The algorithm carries out seven rewriting cycles. The algorithm is considered reliable but it requires more time for execution.
- Bruce Schneier algorithm. The process consists of seven rewriting cycles. The method differs from VSITR by its rewriting sequence. This enhanced method of data deletion is considered the most reliable.
- NAVSO P-5239-26 (MFM) standard, USA and NAVSO P-5239-26 (RLL) standard, USA. The algorithm carries out three rewriting cycles. The standards differ from one another by their sequences of data deletion.
- DoD 5250.22-M standard, USA. The algorithm carries out three rewriting cycles. It is considered a reliable method of protection against people who do not have special tools but, however, data are successfully restored in many cases.
Before deleting the data, make sure that the file or the folder is not opened, or it is not in use by other applications.
In order to start the wizard, perform the following actions:
- Open the main application window.
- In the main application window click Additional Tools.
- In the Additional Tools window in the File Shredder section click the Open button.
- In the Delete data permanently window, select an object to delete. You can type the path manually or select an object to delete using the Browse... button.
The wizard supports deletion of data from local disk drives (deletion is possible if the user has the rights required for recording and deleting information) and from any removable drives or other devices that can be detected as removable drives (such as floppy disks, flash cards, USB cards, or cell phones). Data can be deleted from a flash card if the mechanic protection from rewriting (Lock mode) is disabled.
- In the Data deletion method section, select the required data deletion algorithm from the drop-down menu. You can select:
- Quick delete (Recommended).
- GOST state standard P 50739-95, Russian Federation.
- VSITR standard, Germany.
- Bruce Schneier algorithm.
- NAVSO P-5239-26 (MFM) standard, USA and NAVSO P-5239-26 (RLL) standard, USA.
- DoD 5250.22-M standard, USA.
- At the bottom of the window click the Delete button.
When system files and folders are found among the chosen data, the wizard requests additional confirmation for their deletion.
- In the Confirm deletion window click the OK button.
- Wait until the process is complete.
- Close the File Shredder window.
- Close the main application window.
File Shredder - Max File Shredder, WinUtilities File IObit Uninstaller, Best Uninstall Tool for Your PC - IObit File Shredder - Free download and software reviews - CNET